[ovirt-users] vdsm dependency rsyslog?

Alon Bar-Lev alonbl at redhat.com
Fri Apr 11 15:37:21 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

It should not crash if /dev/log is not available. Having syslog or /dev/log should be optional.

> the devs where a little inaccurate and added the dependency
> for rsyslog, but the real dependency is on /dev/log, which is also
> satisfied by e.g. syslog-ng.

I do not see that this is a standard nor rsyslog provides this.

> so if someone wants to use syslog-ng on rhel maybe because it is
> already used in other infrastructure you still have to install rsyslogd
> for no use?

The problem is that we usually part software part integration, configuring other components when we install ours, this creates tight coupling between what we can support.

However, in this case I do not see we try to configure rsyslog, so rsyslog should be completely optional.

If we want integration type solution, the rsyslog or any other logger should be installed and enabled using host-deploy.