[ovirt-users] hosted engine health check issues

René Koch rkoch at linuxland.at
Mon Apr 14 08:50:29 UTC 2014

Hi,

I have some issues with hosted engine status.

oVirt hosts think that hosted engine is down because it seems that hosts
can't write to hosted-engine.lockspace due to glusterfs issues (or at
least I think so).

Here's the output of vm-status:

# hosted-engine --vm-status

--== Host 1 status ==--

Status up-to-date                  : False
Hostname                           : 10.0.200.102
Host ID                            : 1
Engine status                      : unknown stale-data
Score                              : 2400
Local maintenance                  : False
Host timestamp                     : 1397035677
Extra metadata (valid at timestamp):
	metadata_parse_version=1
	metadata_feature_version=1
	timestamp=1397035677 (Wed Apr  9 11:27:57 2014)
	host-id=1
	score=2400
	maintenance=False
	state=EngineUp

--== Host 2 status ==--

Status up-to-date                  : True
Hostname                           : 10.0.200.101
Host ID                            : 2
Engine status                      : {'reason': 'vm not running on this
host', 'health': 'bad', 'vm': 'down', 'detail': 'unknown'}
Score                              : 0
Local maintenance                  : False
Host timestamp                     : 1397464031
Extra metadata (valid at timestamp):
	metadata_parse_version=1
	metadata_feature_version=1
	timestamp=1397464031 (Mon Apr 14 10:27:11 2014)
	host-id=2
	score=0
	maintenance=False
	state=EngineUnexpectedlyDown
	timeout=Mon Apr 14 10:35:05 2014

oVirt engine is sending me 2 emails every 10 minutes with the following
subjects:
- ovirt-hosted-engine state transition EngineDown-EngineStart
- ovirt-hosted-engine state transition EngineStart-EngineUp

In oVirt webadmin I can see the following message:
VM HostedEngine is down. Exit message: internal error Failed to acquire
lock: error -243.

These messages are really annoying as oVirt isn't doing anything with
hosted engine - I have an uptime of 9 days in my engine vm.

So my questions are now:
Is it intended to send out these messages and detect that ovirt engine
is down (which is false anyway), but not to restart the vm?

How can I disable notifications? I'm planning to write a Nagios plugin
which parses the output of hosted-engine --vm-status and only Nagios
should notify me, not hosted-engine script.

Is is possible or planned to make the whole ha feature optional? I
really really really hate cluster software as it causes more troubles
then standalone machines and in my case the hosted-engine ha feature
really causes troubles (and I didn't had a hardware or network outage
yet only issues with hosted-engine ha agent). I don't need any ha
feature for hosted engine. I just want to run engine virtualized on
oVirt and if engine vm fails (e.g. because of issues with a host) I'll
restart it on another node.

Thanks,
René

--