[ovirt-users] minimum DNS requirements for /etc/hosts

Jeremiah Jahn jeremiah at goodinassociates.com
Mon Apr 14 13:08:09 UTC 2014

So like the nut job I am, I host my dns server on a virtual machine
that is now hosted by ovirt, I also have a few gateway machine in
there as well for routing traffic between internal networks.  With
virt-manager, DNS rarely seemed to be an issue. I'd connect to a host
IP, and bring up the vm, no problem. Ovirt on the other hand takes
forever if dns is down. So i've passed around a /etc/hosts file to
resolve any ip address that ovirt might be looking for while dns is
out.  I'd like to verify at an abstract level, what needs to be in
said file, to keep everything from timing out, or just taking forever.

name and FQDN of each host
name and FQDN of engine host
name and FQDN of each storage domain.

Is this enough, or are there other places/things the ovirt node and
hosts might be trying to resolve?

thanks,
-jj-