[ovirt-users] minimum DNS requirements for /etc/hosts

René Koch rkoch at linuxland.at
Mon Apr 14 13:23:24 UTC 2014

On 04/14/2014 03:08 PM, Jeremiah Jahn wrote:
> So like the nut job I am, I host my dns server on a virtual machine
> that is now hosted by ovirt, I also have a few gateway machine in
> there as well for routing traffic between internal networks.  With
> virt-manager, DNS rarely seemed to be an issue. I'd connect to a host
> IP, and bring up the vm, no problem. Ovirt on the other hand takes
> forever if dns is down. So i've passed around a /etc/hosts file to
> resolve any ip address that ovirt might be looking for while dns is
> out.  I'd like to verify at an abstract level, what needs to be in
> said file, to keep everything from timing out, or just taking forever.
>
> name and FQDN of each host
> name and FQDN of engine host
> name and FQDN of each storage domain.
>
> Is this enough, or are there other places/things the ovirt node and
> hosts might be trying to resolve?

Afaik this should be enough.
Just remember that e.g. ssh login will still be slow if the DNS server
isn't reachable as you have to wait until it reaches a timeout.

My oVirt setup doesn't have any DNS entry - just the hosts and engine in
/etc/hosts. But I don't use DNS names at all only IP addresses...

Regards,
René