[ovirt-users] does SPM can run over ovirt-engine host ?

Tamer Lima tamer.americo at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 14:13:12 UTC 2014

Hello,

When I create virtual machine from a template (centos6.5, 2 cores, 8GB mem,
500GB hd)  this process takes almost 2 hours.   I click on "New VM" button
and just select the template and click ok.

engine.log show me high network consumption (98%)  between  engine-server
host and SPM host.

I tried to make my engine-server host a spm host too, but without sucess.

Does SPM can run over on the same ovirt-engine machine ?

Am I make something wrong? Or create VM from template is really slow ?

my servers :
srv-0202  = ovirt-engine  , vdsm
srv-0203 = spm , vdsm
srv-0204 = vdsm
These servers are dell blades connected on a 100GB switch.

thanks

This is what I know about SPM:
http://www.ovirt.org/Storage_-_oVirt_workshop_November_2011

= Storage Pool Manager (SPM) A role assigned to one host in a data center
granting it sole authority over:

   - Creation, deletion, an dmanipulation of virtula disk images, snapshots
   and templates
      - Templates: you can create on VM as a golden image and provision to
      multiple VMs (QCOW layers)
   - Allocation of storage for sparse block devices (on SAN)
      - Thin provisinoing (see below)
   - Single metadata writer:
      - SPM lease mechanism (Chockler and Malkhi 2004, Light-Weight Leases
      for Storage-Cnntric Coordination)
      - Storage-centric mailbox
   - This role can be migrated to any host in data center