[ovirt-users] [Users] Updating AIO from 3.3.4 to 3.4

Sandro Bonazzola sbonazzo at redhat.com
Wed Apr 16 09:24:22 UTC 2014

Il 03/04/2014 21:20, Gianluca Cecchi ha scritto:
> Hello,
> I know that AIO setup is only for experimenting and trying but I find
> it very useful in several situations. So having a 3.3.4 All-In_one
> installation on fedora19 and wanting to update it to 3.4 I have some
> doubts.
> In release notes I see for general updates:
>
> On Fedora 19 you'll need to enable fedora-updates repository for
> having updated openstack packages --> OK. It is normally already
> enabled
>
> On Fedora 19, you'll need to enable fedora-virt-preview repository for
> using Fedora 19 as node on 3.4 clusters --> how do I managed this?
> This is indeed a node too, so I have to enable virt-preview for it?
> Correct?

Correct

> BTW: Is this note still true in general or did the related virt
> packages go into fedora-updates, or is it planned in coming
> days/weeks?

It's still true in general. libvirt people said they won't update F19 with the virt-preview packages.

> When engine-setup is run and detects that a newer version is available
> and outputs that I have to run
>
> yum update ovirt-engine-setup
>
> is it correct to say that in AIO setups I should actually run
>
> yum update ovirt-engine-setup ovirt-engine-setup-plugin-allinone

On all-in-one think that it may be useful a general "yum update" in order to get libvirt, vdsm and ovirt-engine-setup*
If you want to update only the minimum for the upgrade, better go with yum update "ovirt-engine-setup*"

> or is it the latest package not crucial to be updated before new
> engine-setup is run?
>
> At the end of engine update can I simply put the AIO server into
> maintenance (as a node) and run "yum update" so that vdsm (aka node)
> packages are updated too and so the server will become a 3.4 enabled
> node after reboot?

I think you should move the system in maintenance before running engine-setup.
I also don't think that a full reboot is needed, I think that just service vdsmd restart should be enough.
But Dan can tell you if the reboot is needed.