[ovirt-users] VDSM Shutdown Scenario

Neil nwilson123 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 09:29:24 UTC 2014

Hi guys,

I'm trying to setup the simplest yet safest way of protecting my
guests during an unexpected power outage.

If I'm running ovirt with 3 hosts, and the ovirt-engine machine as
well as the hosts have SNMP UPS monitoring software installed and
configured to shutdown if the UPS starts running out of power, what
would happen to the guests when the hosts commence the shutdown
sequence caused by the UPS software? The ovirt-engine would also be
configured to shutdown during the outage.

Would the guests try to migrate to another host (despite all of the
hosts commencing the shutdown)? Would the guests be paused?

What is the recommended practice to safely protect the VM's ?

Thank you!

Regards.

Neil Wilson.