[ovirt-users] difference between thin/depentend and clone/dependent vm virtual machine

Tamer Lima tamer.americo at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 14:41:51 UTC 2014

Hello,

I created VMs by two ways :

1)  on tab virtual machines > new vm  > template (centos_65_64bits)
1.1 configuration : I do not select stateless checkbox
1.2 this process takes a 1h30 to create each machine.

2)  on tab pools > new vm  > template (centos_65_64bits)
2.1 default configuration : stateless
2.2 Here I created 3 virtual machines at once
2.3 this process takes only one minute

On the tab virtual machines I can see all virtual machines.
Pooled machines have different icon image
and description is different too:

machines generated from tab VM  are described as clone/dependent
- clone is a phisical copy?
machines generated from tab POOL are described as thin/independent
- thin is a just a  reference to template vm ? what is phisical? any
configuration file?

In practice, what is the difference between these machines ?

http://www.ovirt.org/Features/PrestartedVm
"Today there are 2 types of Vm pools:

   1. Manual - the Vm is supposed to be manually returned to the pool. In
   practice, this is not really entirely supported.
   2. Automatic - once the user shuts down the Vm - it returns to the pool
   (stateless)."

 all vm created from pool  are stateless ?

thanks