[ovirt-users] oVirt Networking query

Lior Vernia lvernia at redhat.com
Fri Apr 18 20:56:29 UTC 2014

Hi Rudrajit,

Welcome, I hope you'll like it! See comments inline.

On 18/04/14 21:53, Rudrajit Tapadar (rtapadar) wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am a newbie to ovirt and I had a couple of questions and I was hoping
> I could get some help.
>
>  1. Does ovirt support openvswitch without going through Neutron? So far
>     all the documents that I came across uses Neutron as an external
>     network provider.

At the moment it doesn't. However, this has been talked about and will
probably be implemented at some point (though not sure when).

In fact, if you're a developer, you could help make it happen yourself!
A lot of the necessary "nfrastructure has been recently laid down by
this feature, which would only require someone to implement an OVS
"configurator":

http://www.ovirt.org/Feature/NetworkReloaded

>  2. Is there a support for macvtap in ovirt? I couldn’t find anything on
>     macvtap.

Not at the moment, and I myself am not knowledgeable about macvtap.
However, since Google tells me it should play well with libvirt, I'm
guessing support for that might also be added by implementing a
dedicated configurator.

Following the said Google search however, I would be very interested to
hear why it interests you, since oVirt handles bridge and tap device
creation. What would be the gain in using specifically macvtap? I'm
asking because this if there's good reason to do this, it might be
prioritized in the future.

Yours, Lior.