[ovirt-users] Query for adding non kvm hosts to ovirt engine

noc noc at nieuwland.nl
Tue Apr 22 11:15:18 UTC 2014

On 22-4-2014 11:56, Peter Harris wrote:
> I have a small test environment, where I am trying to work out the
> detail of configuring ovirt + gluster as our main customer support
> environment. All boxes running Scientific Linux 6.5 and ovirt 3.4 and
> glusterfs 3.5:
>
> mgr1 : ovirt-engine installed and vdsm-gluster
> vmhost1 : main vm server, added to mgr1 as host
> vmhost2 : second vm server, add to mgr1 as host
> strg1 : first gluster storage server
> strg2 : second gluster storage server
>
> mgr1 is an old box, hardware does not support virtualization
> vmhost1 and vmhost2 have full vt capability
> strg1 and strg2 hardware does not support virtualization
>
> In the past, if I have created a gluster only ovirt-engine install, I
> have been able to add strg1 and strg2 as hosts. Is there any way I can
> use mgr1 to manage both vm hosts and storage hosts, and add strg1 and
> strg2 to mgr1 as hosts. At the moment, I get the following error:
> 2014-04-22 10:27:37 DEBUG otopi.ovirt_host_deploy.hardware
> hardware._isVirtualizationEnabled:186 virtualization support
> GenuineIntel (cpu: False, bios: True)
> 2014-04-22 10:27:37 DEBUG otopi.ovirt_host_deploy.hardware
> hardware.detect:202 Hardware supports virtualization
> 2014-04-22 10:27:37 DEBUG otopi.context context._executeMethod:152
> method exception
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/tmp/ovirt-2p0fjrQMTb/pythonlib/otopi/context.py", line 142,
> in _executeMethod
>     method['method']()
>   File
> "/tmp/ovirt-2p0fjrQMTb/otopi-plugins/ovirt-host-deploy/vdsm/hardware.py",
> line 68, in _validate_virtualization
>     _('Hardware does not support virtualization')
> RuntimeError: Hardware does not support virtualization

Create a second cluster named 'Storage' :-) and make sure the virt
checkbox is unchecked and the gluster checkbox is checked and add both
storage hosts to this cluster. Hopefully during the install it won't
complain about the virt bits. I run such a setup but my storage hosts
are virt capable so I don't know if this will work for you.

Regards,

Joop