[ovirt-users] Proper way to change and persist vdsm configuration options

Trey Dockendorf treydock at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 05:12:21 UTC 2014

I'll file BZ.  As far as I can recall this has been an issue since 3.3.x as
I have been using Puppet to modify values and have had to rerun Puppet
after installing a node via GUI and when performing update from GUI.  Given
that it has occurred when VDSM version didn't change on the node it seems
likely to be something being done by Python code that bootstraps a node and
performs the other tasks.  I won't have any systems available to test with
for a few days.  New hardware specifically for our oVirt deployment is on
order so should be able to more thoroughly debug and capture logs at that
time.

Would using vdsm-reg be a better solution for adding new nodes?  I only
tried using vdsm-reg once and it went very poorly...lots of missing
dependencies not pulled in from yum install I had to install manually via
yum.  Then the node was auto added to newest cluster with no ability to
change the cluster.  Be happy to debug that too if there's some docs that
outline the expected behavior.

Using vdsm-reg or something similar seems like a better fit for puppet
deployed nodes, as opposed to requiring GUI steps to add the node.

Thanks
- Trey