[ovirt-users] Proper way to change and persist vdsm configuration options

Trey Dockendorf treydock at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 18:36:24 UTC 2014

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 12:32 PM, ybronhei <ybronhei at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Just noticed something that I forgot about..
> before filing new BZ, see in ovirt-host-deploy README.environment [1] the
> section:
> VDSM/configOverride(bool) [True]
>     Override vdsm configuration file.
>
> changing it to false will keep your vdsm.conf file as is after deploying the
> host again (what happens after node upgrade)
>
> [1]
> https://github.com/oVirt/ovirt-host-deploy/blob/master/README.environment
>
> please check if that what you meant..
>
> Thanks,
> Yaniv Bronhaim.

I was unaware of that package.  I will check that out as that seems to
be what I am looking for.

I have not filed this in BZ and will hold off pending
ovirt-host-deploy.  If you feel a BZ is still necessary then please do
file one and I would be happy to provide input if it would help.

Right now this is my workflow.

1. Foreman provisions bare-metal server with CentOS 6.5
2. Once provisioned and system rebooted Puppet applies puppet-ovirt
[1] module that adds the necessary yum repos, and installs packages.
Part of my Puppet deployment is basic things like sudo management
(vdsm's sudo is account for), sssd configuration, and other aspects
that are needed by every system in my infrastructure.  Part of the
ovirt::node Puppet class is managing vdsm.conf, and in my case that
means ensuring iSER is enabled for iSCSI over IB.
3. Once host is online and has had the full Puppet catalog applied I
log into ovirt-engine web interface and add those host (pulling it's
data via the Foreman provider).

What I've noticed is that after step #3, after a host is added by
ovirt-engine, the vdsm.conf file is reset to default and I have to
reapply Puppet before it can be used as the one of my Data Storage
Domains requires iSER (not available over TCP).

What would be the workflow using ovirt-host-deploy?  Thus far I've had
to piece together my workflow based on the documentation and filling
in blanks where possible since I do require customizations to
vdsm.conf and the documented workflow of adding a host via web UI does
not allow for such customization.

Thanks,
- Trey

[1] - https://github.com/treydock/puppet-ovirt (README not fully
updated as still working out how to use Puppet with oVirt)