[ovirt-users] Proper way to change and persist vdsm configuration options

Alon Bar-Lev alonbl at redhat.com
Tue Aug 5 18:54:59 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Trey Dockendorf" <treydock at gmail.com>

this should be done at engine side, using engine-config, seek IPTablesConfig or IPTablesConfigSiteCustom in 3.5.

> ** This is necessary as I have to add other Firewall rules, such as Zabbix
> * Exports /etc/hosts entry for the node that is collected by
> ovirt-engine host so that if DNS goes down ovirt-engine does not lose
> access to ovirtmgmt interfaces

why not just have a backup for dns?

> * Install yum repos for ovirt

this should not be done within ovirt-node.

> * install vdsm

this should be done by host-deploy.

> * ensure vdsm.conf exists
> * Populates /etc/vdsm/vdsm.id (IIRC a bug in previous ovirt required this)

why? you machine should have valid bios uuid.

> * Ensures vdsmd is running and will start at boot
> * Ensures vdsm sudo rules are present.
> * Manages default vdsm.conf configurations as a Puppet type,
> "vdsm_config", rather than managing file contents via template (allows
> for purging unmanaged entries also)

the above should be done via host-deploy.

> A lot of the above is handled by ovirt already, but in the past
> customizations were not possible (firewall rules, vdsm.conf entries,
> etc) so if I was going to have to manage those separately I wanted
> them in Puppet :)
>
> Now that I'm aware of "ovirt-host-deploy" and have seen the potential
> of using vdsm-reg in Puppet, I'm curious what is the "right" way to
> automate node deployment's in oVirt. Ideally I could still use Puppet
> to configure the method or fill in the "gaps" for customizations that
> are needed (ie enabling iSER).
>
> I'd be glad to know what the recommended method for automating ovirt
> would be, and would be happy to refactor my module in hopes it would
> offer other Puppet users a quick-start way to deploy oVirt while still
> doing things the "ovirt way".
>
> If the right way is using the ovirt-node images then I'd like to know
> what customizations are possible on those images and so on.  oVirt is
> moving very rapidly and despite using ovirt for a long time I'm still
> learning new things about it almost daily, so forgive any of my
> assumptions above that may be wrong :).

ovirt-node is not flexible as standard host, if you require sssd and misc packages I suggest you stick with generic host.