[ovirt-users] New member and first question...

David BERCOT ovirt at bercot.org
Thu Aug 7 09:44:26 UTC 2014

Le Thu, 07 Aug 2014 10:56:35 +0200,
Jorick Astrego <j.astrego at netbulae.eu> a écrit :
>On 08/07/2014 09:45 AM, David BERCOT wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm French, I work for the French administration and this is my first
>> message on this list...
>>
>> At the moment, we use VMware (vSphere 5.1/5.5, cloud edition) for our
>> virtualized complex infrastructures.
>>
>> I've discovered recently that oVirt offers enhanced features, closed
>> to the ones of VMware. Is the product sufficiently advanced yet ? I
>> don't know and I hope you'll be able to help me ;-)
>Welcome David,

Thank you ;-)

>We find it sufficiently advanced, since 3.5 is nearing release most of
>our wishlist has been taken care off ;-)
>Check out the case stories like
>(http://www.ovirt.org/Brussels_Airport_Case_Study)

Yes, it is an interesting article even if I did not understand the
Openstack point because, if I'm not wrong, Openstack can run over any
virtualization solution, VMware, KVM, etc...

>> My first question is about hypervisor... In VMware infrastructures,
>> we use a microkernel since the version 4 (before, it was an
>> hypervisor based on a RedHat core).
>>
>> On the oVirt site, I can download ovirt-engine to install it over
>> Debian/RedHat/CentOS, etc... But it seems to be less optimised
>> because some ressources are used by the underlying OS...
>Ovirt engine is the management part (like vCenter), there is no need
>for it to be that optimized as it's not running VM's itself.

Yes, I saw my mistake between oVirt engine and oVirt node ;-)

My really question was : is it a good idea to run the oVirt node over
another OS ? It would be more performant to run the oVirt node directly
over the hardware, like ESXi...
May be it is in the roadmap ?

And I have another question : is there something like VMFS to store the
VM in the SAN ? It's more performant to use FC than NFS shares...

Thank you.

David.