[ovirt-users] New member and first question...

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 12:03:15 UTC 2014

Il 07/ago/2014 11:44 "David BERCOT" <ovirt <ovirt at bercot.org>@
<ovirt at bercot.org>bercot.org <ovirt at bercot.org>> ha scritto:

> My really question was : is it a good idea to run the oVirt node over
> another OS ? It would be more performant to run the oVirt node directly
> over the hardware, like ESXi...
> May be it is in the roadmap ?

VMware says esxi is a bare-metal hypervisor and there is not an underlying
os. Someone else says it is based on vmkernel operating system ( where
vmkernel is defined as a posix-like operating system).
In my opinion the oVirt node is to be intended something like ESXi: an os
with the smallest possible footprint, dedicated to run as a KVM hypervisor.
The difference being that it is based on Linux and not developed from
scratch.

Gianluca