[ovirt-users] New member and first question...

Sven Kieske S.Kieske at mittwald.de
Thu Aug 7 12:16:34 UTC 2014

FYI:

actually the vmware kernel leverages many open source drivers
from the linux kernel and I highly suspect that it is in fact
a custom linux kernel.

some evidence that supports this view is the recent
attempt of vmware to join the linux-distros mailinglist
to get early access to vulnerabilities in open source code.

you can just join this list if you offer a kind of "linux" distribution
(or something very close to it).

here is a thread for further reading on the case:
http://seclists.org/oss-sec/2014/q2/403

PS: regarding ovirt-node:
it's actually a very trimmed down linux system, just enough
to act as an hypervisor, so it's bare metal virtualization
(I would even argue that there is no such thing as a type 1
hypervisor, because if you talk about type 1 hypervisors
the hypervisor itself is the operating system kernel, which is also
the case for kvm, as it is a linux kernel module).

HTH

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Regards

Sven Kieske

Systemadministrator
Mittwald CM Service GmbH & Co. KG
Königsberger Straße 6
32339 Espelkamp
T: +49-5772-293-100
F: +49-5772-293-333
https://www.mittwald.de
Geschäftsführer: Robert Meyer
St.Nr.: 331/5721/1033, USt-IdNr.: DE814773217, HRA 6640, AG Bad Oeynhausen
Komplementärin: Robert Meyer Verwaltungs GmbH, HRB 13260, AG Bad Oeynhausen