[ovirt-users] New member and first question...

David BERCOT ovirt at bercot.org
Thu Aug 7 12:48:30 UTC 2014

Le Thu, 7 Aug 2014 14:03:15 +0200,
Gianluca Cecchi <gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com> a écrit :
>Il 07/ago/2014 11:44 "David BERCOT" <ovirt <ovirt at bercot.org>@
><ovirt at bercot.org>bercot.org <ovirt at bercot.org>> ha scritto:
>
>> My really question was : is it a good idea to run the oVirt node over
>> another OS ? It would be more performant to run the oVirt node
>> directly over the hardware, like ESXi...
>> May be it is in the roadmap ?
>
>VMware says esxi is a bare-metal hypervisor and there is not an
>underlying os. Someone else says it is based on vmkernel operating
>system ( where vmkernel is defined as a posix-like operating system).
>In my opinion the oVirt node is to be intended something like ESXi: an
>os with the smallest possible footprint, dedicated to run as a KVM
>hypervisor. The difference being that it is based on Linux and not
>developed from scratch.

It is OK for me to have an oVirt node similar to ESXi, except that it
is based on Linux.
But on the oVirt site, I've found oVirt node packages to install over
RH, Fedora, Debian, CentOS, etc...
Is there a "dedicated" oVirt-node ISO, based on the Linux kernel, but
optimized for KVM, without other kernel modules we can see on RH,
Fedora, Debian, CentOS, etc... ?

Thank you.

David.