[ovirt-users] Instructions for novices

OvirtAndKvm oVirt at goproject.info
Sun Aug 17 06:47:17 UTC 2014

    Hi,

Can someone point me to instructions for building a CentOS server that
would be ready for installing the self hosted node.

I have a 7x 500GB HD, 16 GB RAM, i7 computer that I have installed
CentOS 6.5 (Software RAID6) to and would now like to install the
self-hosted-engine.

While I do have experience with Debian as a server and some experience
with CentOS, I have not so far found any information regarding how to
build a basic server ready for installing oVirt packages, for example
configuring static IP addresses, hostname, hosts file, maybe NFS
shares ? or iSCSI shares ?

http://www.ovirt.org/Download#Install_oVirt

Step 6 says "Follow the on screen prompts to configure and install the
engine ", however knowing what to supply for the prompts and what to
have already configured on your server would be very helpful.

http://www.ovirt.org/Hosted_Engine_Howto
"During the deployment you'll be asked for input on host name, storage
path and other relevant information ", it is how to set up the
environment for answering these questions that I would like assistance
with (e.g. a HowTo ?)

I have once before installed the "ovirt-engine-setup-plugin-allinone"
in a VMware Workstation VM, but not without many challenges.

I would now like to install the "ovirt-hosted-engine-ha"

The second prompt said "Please specify the full shared storage
connection path to use (example: host:/path):", however it does not
say that it will create this or whether you need to have this created
earlier ?  At this time I don't have a static IP address nor the
hosts file containing the host name, this is just a newly built CentOS
server with minimum GUI, updates applied and no other changes.  So is
there any documentation which would explain what other changes are
needed and how to do this?

http://www.ovirt.org/Quick_Start_Guide
Two packages, ovirt-hosted-engine-setup and ovirt-hosted-engine-ha
provide the setup and services necessary to deploy a
self-hosted-engine oVirt environment. For more on the oVirt
Self-Hosted Engine, see the oVirt Installation Guide.

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization/3.3/html/Installation_Guide/Configuring_the_Self-Hosted_Engine.html

http://blog.gluster.org/2014/05/ovirt-3-4-glusterized/
The Hosted Engine feature relies on NFS storage to house the
management VM.