[ovirt-users] vm install via iso - optical drive eject behaviour?

Paul Jansen vlaero at yahoo.com.au
Tue Aug 19 11:25:41 UTC 2014

Hello.
I currently have oVirt 3.4.x set up.
A colleague mentioned that he was having an issue where booting a VM with an attached iso and installing via cd/dvd does not allow the contents of the 'drive' to eject after the install.  Sure enough, I have tested this myself and observed the same behaviour.

Installing an EL/fedora iso image with a kickstart that has a 'reboot --eject' line in will eject the 'drive' after the installing when doing the exact same thing on VMware ESXi (and 'real' hardware).

A suggestion was made that VMware emulates a laptop style optical drive that once the disk ejects the system cannot close the drive bay upon reboot - this is a manual operation.
Does oVirt emulate a destop style drive where even if the disk is ejected, when a reboot occurs the drive will close?

The long an short of this that even though the 'reboot --eject' option is in the kickstart, the iso image seems be be reattached when the VM reboots and the installs process starts again.  An infinite loop effectively.

I'm told this isn't an issue with an KVM/Qemu VM under virt-manager.

Any suggestions as to how to solve this?
I should point out that I cannot simply extract files and boot via PXE as this process is supposed to be testing an install process via generated media.

Thanks.