[ovirt-users] VM Deployment By Template

Sven Kieske S.Kieske at mittwald.de
Wed Aug 27 07:38:07 UTC 2014

Hi,

just to correct this, this is wrong:

Am 27.08.2014 04:20, schrieb Darren Hart:
> When you create your VM based on the template check in advanced options
> – Resource allocation and see if the option there for template
provisioning
> is set to clone or to thin provision. Clone in your case I believe
would create
> a 40GB image file based on the template whereas thin provision will create
> you a thin provisioned disk just using the same actual
> data amount as the thin provisioned template.

If you have a "thin" template and create a new vm using the option:
"clone" what ovirt does is copy the thin template to a new disk.
when you use "thin" ovirt does not create a new disk for the vm, instead
the new vm shares the thin disk with the template (same file!)
and creates another file just for the differences between template
and vm, which accumulate over time.

notice that you can not delete a template which has thin provisioned
vms depending on it unless you delete all those vms.

HTH

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Regards

Sven Kieske

Systemadministrator
Mittwald CM Service GmbH & Co. KG
Königsberger Straße 6
32339 Espelkamp
T: +49-5772-293-100
F: +49-5772-293-333
https://www.mittwald.de
Geschäftsführer: Robert Meyer
St.Nr.: 331/5721/1033, USt-IdNr.: DE814773217, HRA 6640, AG Bad Oeynhausen
Komplementärin: Robert Meyer Verwaltungs GmbH, HRB 13260, AG Bad Oeynhausen