[ovirt-users] oVirt/gluster storage questions for 2-3 node datacenter

David King david at rexden.us
Thu Aug 28 13:39:24 UTC 2014

Hi,

I am currently testing oVirt 3.4.3 + gluster 3.5.2 for use in my relatively
small home office environment on a single host.  I have 2  Intel hosts with
SSD and magnetic disk and one AMD host with only magnetic disk.  I have
been trying to figure out the best way to configure my environment given my
previous attempt with oVirt 3.3 encountered storage issues.

I will be hosting two types of VMs - VMs that can be tied to a particular
system (such as 3 node FreeIPA domain or some test VMs), and VMs which
could migrate between systems for improved uptime.

The processor issue seems straightforward.  Have a single datacenter with
two clusters - one for the Intel systems and one for the AMD systems.  Put
VMs which need to live migrate on the Intel cluster.  If necessary VMs can
be manually switched between the Intel and AMD cluster with a downtime.

The Gluster side of the storage seems less clear.  The bulk of the gluster
with oVirt issues I experienced and have seen on the list seem to be two
node setups with 2 bricks in the Gluster volume.

So here are my questions:

1) Should I avoid 2 brick Gluster volumes?

2) What is the risk in having the SSD volumes with only 2 bricks given that
there would be 3 gluster servers?  How should I configure them?

3) Is there a way to use local storage for a host locked VM other than
creating a gluster volume with one brick?

4) Should I avoid using the hosted engine configuration?  I do have an
external VMware ESXi system to host the engine for now but would like to
phase it out eventually.

5) If I do the hosted engine should I make the underlying gluster volume 3
brick replicated?

-David