[ovirt-users] oVirt/gluster storage questions for 2-3 node datacenter

David King david at rexden.us
Fri Aug 29 19:36:02 UTC 2014

Hi Paul,

I would prefer to do a direct mount for local disk.  However I am not certain how to configure a single system with both local storage and bluster replicated storage.

- The “Configure Local Storage”  option for Hosts wants to make a datacenter and cluster for the system.  I presume that’s because oVirt wants to be able to mount the storage on all hosts in a datacenter.

- Configuring a POSIX storage domain with local disk does not work as oVirt wants to mount the disk on all systems in the datacenter.

I suppose my third option would be to put these systems as libvirt VMs and not manage them with oVirt.  This is fairly reasonable as I use Foreman for provisioning except that I will need to figure out how to make them co-exist.  Has anyone tried this?

Am I missing other options for local non-replicated disk?

Thanks,
David

--
David King
On August 29, 2014 at 3:01:49 PM, Paul Robert Marino (prmarino1 at gmail.com) wrote:

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 12:25 PM, Vijay Bellur <vbellur at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 08/29/2014 07:34 PM, David King wrote:
>>
>> Paul,
>>
>> Thanks for the response.
>>
>> You mention that the issue is orphaned files during updates when one
>> node is down. However I am less concerned about adding and removing
>> files because the file server will be predominately VM disks so the file
>> structure is fairly static. Those VM files will be quite active however
>> - will gluster be able to keep track of partial updates to a large file
>> when one out of two bricks are down?
>>

> Yes, gluster only updates regions of the file that need to be synchronized
> during self-healing. More details on this synchronization can be found in
> the self-healing section of afr's design document [1].
>

>> Right now I am leaning towards using SSD for "host local" disk - single
>> brick gluster volumes intended for VMs which are node specific and then

I wouldn't use single brick gluster volumes for local disk you don't
need it and it will actually make it more complicated with no real
benefits.