[ovirt-users] 3.5 live merge findings and mysteries [was Re: Simple way to activate live merge in FC20 cluster]

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 07:33:09 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 8:27 AM, Gianluca Cecchi <gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 4:16 AM, Adam Litke <alitke at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi, please see below for more details.
>>
>> tl; dr;  Live merge works on oVirt-3.5.0 with Fedora 20 hosts that are
>> using qemu and libvirt packages from the virt-preview repo.
>> No other configuration is supported yet.  We aim to have support for
>> RHEL7.1 and later and built-in support for Fedora 21.

Sorry... pressed return too quick..

Understand me, please.
My note was about Release Notes page misleading in respect with features'
set and newcomers... but also frequent users too

At http://www.ovirt.org/OVirt_3.5_Release_Notes#Live_Merge  ones reads:

"
 Live Merge
If an image has one or more snapshots, oVirt 3.5's merge command will
combine the data of one volume into another. Live merges can be performed
with data is pulled from one snapshot into another snapshot. The engine can
merge multiple disks at the same time and each merge can independently fail
or succeed in each operation.
"

I think you have to mention that it is a restricted use case for now... and
specify that it works only for Fedora 20 and in that case you have to
manually modify the repo definition to install the qemu packages from
virt-preview to get the feature.

Also at
http://www.ovirt.org/OVirt_3.5_Release_Notes#Install_.2F_Upgrade_from_Previous_Versions
you had better to specify that when you use RHEL/CentOS hosts you don't get
live merge at all.

Just my opinion to limit more and more times the same questions on the list
due to not enough clarity

Gianluca