[ovirt-users] EXTNET Hook and Libvirtd "Default" Network Setup

Lior Vernia lvernia at redhat.com
Thu Dec 18 08:41:58 UTC 2014

Hi Andrew,

On 17/12/14 22:39, Andrew Wagner wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm testing out oVirt for one of our projects that wants to try an
> all-in-one setup before going to a larger deployment. For their testing,
> they want to use the default NAT'd network from libvirtd on the host.
>
> I've install oVirt, installed the extnet hook, enabled IP forwarding in
> sysctl.conf and loaded the setting, and created a vm that attaches to
> the libvirtd "default" network and gets an IP. The VM can ssh to the
> virbr0 IP address, in this case 192.168.122.1, to access the host.
> However, the VM cannot reach any IP address off of the NAT'd subnet. I
> haven't changed any of the default iptables rules that oVirt and
> libvirtd create. Looking at ip route and the iptables rules, I feel that
> traffic should be getting directed appropriately.

Could you elaborate why there's need to meddle with the networking at
the level of libvirt and to use the extnet hook?

If all you need is an IP address and NAT, I would think a default oVirt
setup would do as long as you have a DHCP server and add proper iptables
rules to the host.

Even if you do in fact need the specific libvirt network and to use the
hook, maybe it's worth trying without them first - just to make sure
your iptables rules are alright (they would be my prime suspect).