[ovirt-users] qemu update & Windows activation

Markus Stockhausen stockhausen at collogia.de
Thu Dec 18 15:13:08 UTC 2014

Hello,

we just build a new cluster with FC20 + virt-preview repos enabled.
Idea behind that is to enable snapshot live merge feature. This
seems to work quite well.

The only culprit is the Windows activation. For some reasons the
VM hardware of the old qemu 1.6/seabios 1.7.3 hypervisors is
different to the new qemu 2.1/seabios 1.7.5. So the OS is no longer
activated.

We already activated the VMs twice. During first install on VMware
and then afterwards after the migration to OVirt. I have no problem
to reactivate them a third time. I have more fears that I must
reactivate them with each new hypervisor generation. That can
be quite a lot of phone calls.

An interesting article from the Proxmox guys can be read here:
http://forum.proxmox.com/archive/index.php/t-19743.html
Conclusion of the discussion: After you go from qemu 1.7 to 2.1
you can force the old hardware layout using -M pc-i440fx-1.7

Looking at the qemu command line in OVirt I can see our VMs
are fired up with pc-1.0,accel=kvm,usb=off - regardless of an
old (FC20) or a new hypervisor (FC20+virt-preview). So I would
guess that everything should work without a new reactivation.

Any ideas?

Markus