[ovirt-users] Migration from Proxmox 3.x to Ovirt

Myles Wakeham myles at edgeneering.com
Tue Dec 23 14:59:59 UTC 2014

We are considering migrating a number of hypervisors from Proxmox 3.x to Ovirt and I was reaching out to see if anyone here had gone through this process and might have some war stories to share?

The bulk of our VMs are OpenVZ containers running Linux, but we have a handful of KVMs with Windows Server 2008.  We've used the virtio drivers in those KVM servers.  The biggest issue for us is the ridiculously complex clustering model with PM and we have multiple data centers with colocated servers in racks and some do not allow multicasting between them, forcing us to have to change out our VPNs between the servers.  Our goal is to allow a 'one step migration' capability of VMs between data centers, which is a major effort to get setup with PM since v2.

If oVirt can help us achieve this, I'm all ears as I think we are ready to make this migration happen.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments.

Myles

Myles Wakeham
Chief Technology Officer
Edgeneering LLC