[ovirt-users] [ovirt-devel] [RFC] oVirt mobile client

i iordanov iiordanov at gmail.com
Thu Dec 25 22:19:58 UTC 2014

Hey guys,

Thanks for remembering about Opaque. For those who are not familiar
with the project, it is an oVirt/RHEV graphics console client which
supports the SPICE protocol so far. It uses libgovirt to connect to
the oVirt/RHEV API. I also created a separate pure SPICE client
(called aSPICE) for Android based on libspice.

It would be nice if I got more feedback from Red Hat developers, but
you guys are probably as busy as I am :). The app is getting attention
on Google Play and people are using it successfully for their
installations, it seems.

I have plans to add the following features to Opaque, time permitting:

- Ability to edit default settings, so that people who connect with
console.vv file will be able to configure Audio, keyboard layout, etc.
- The ability to allocate VMs from a pool.
- The ability to control Audio Playback and Recording separately.

I don't think Opaque needs to get portal-management functionality.

I was contacted by an intern working on movirt (Sphoorti Joglekar,
cc-ed), asking whether I would be willing to support a URI Intent
scheme that movirt can use to launch aSPICE. I think I already have a
pretty well specified URI scheme that may work for the purpose, so
we'll see how that goes. I am wondering whether it wouldn't be better
to launch aSPICE or Opaque with a console.vv file instead, though. I
guess the developers of movirt will have to consider both options.

At any rate, Opaque is far from dead. I'm security supporting it, I
just don't find a lot of time to work on additional features.

I am cc-ing Brian Proffitt, because at one point we discussed setting
up Opaque as a sub-project of oVirt. I don't know whether there is any
interest for that in Red Hat, or any interest at all in supporting
mobile clients for oVirt/RHEV, etc. It would be nice to hear an
official stance on the topic.

Thanks!
iordan

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 10:17 AM, David Jaša <djasa at redhat.com> wrote:
> The app in Google may be half year old but there is a movement in git
> [1] and the author recently called for testing or comments on
> spice-devel ML.
>
> David
>
> [1] https://github.com/iiordanov/remote-desktop-clients/tree/master/eclipse_projects/Opaque
>

> On Pá, 2014-10-31 at 07:56 +0100, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 7:03 AM, Yair Zaslavsky <yzaslavs at redhat.com>
>> wrote:

The conscious mind has only one thread of execution.