[Users] about the size of an offline snapshot

Maor Lipchuk mlipchuk at redhat.com
Sun Feb 2 10:21:44 UTC 2014

On 02/01/2014 06:52 PM, Itamar Heim wrote:
> On 01/29/2014 10:45 AM, Maor Lipchuk wrote:
>> Hi Sandy,
>>
>> virtual size is the size of the disk the VM knows, it is actually the
>> size you chose to create it with.
>> The true size is the summerise of all the true size which the volumes
>> related to disk.
>>
>> So for example if you have one disk of 20G and you occupied 18GB of it.
>> Then you created a snapshot and you occupied 4GB of it, you might see
>> that the virtual size will still be 20GB though the true size will be
>> 22 GB
>>
>> You can also check in the host the commands:
>> vdsClient 0 getVmStats <vmId> or vdsClient 0 getAllVmStats.
>>

> why at host level and not via api or ovirt-cli?

That is correct, you can also see the size and the fields through the
API or ovirt-cli
(see
http://documentation-devel.engineering.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization/3.3-Beta/html-single/Developer_Guide/index.html#Floating_Disk_Elements)
though, you can not see the true size in the floating disk, IINM you can
see it under the VM snapshots disks in the API.

I think that since I already saw this question before, maybe its worth
to open an RFE on that issueת perhaps changing the column name to
full_disk_size ןמ איק GUI or adding a column of actual size in the disks
main tab?