[Users] Will this two node concept scale and work?

Jorick Astrego j.astrego at netbulae.eu
Wed Feb 5 14:13:26 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-02-05 at 08:49 -0500, Yedidyah Bar David wrote:

> [...]

I second that, had many problems without proper fencing and even with
fencing.

> What I did was to allow both to be primary, but had only one primary
> most of the time (per resource). I wrote a script to do migration,
> which
> made both primary for the duration of the migration (required by qemu)
> and then moved the source to secondary when migration finished. This
> way you still have a chance for a disaster, if there is a problem
> (split
> brain, node failure) during a migration. So if you decide to go this
> way,
> carefully plan and test to see that it works well for you. One source
> for
> a split brain, for me, at the time, was buggy nic drivers and bad
> bonding
> configuration. So test that well too if applicable.
>

> The approach I took seems similar to "DRBD on LV level" in [1], but
> with custom scripts and without ovirt.
>

> You might be able to make ovirt do this for you with hooks. Didn't try
> that.\

You could use drbd9 but I haven't tested it extensively yet. DRBD 9 has
primary on write so you have both sides on passive until one of the
nodes want's to write. It should automatically become primary then. This
has been done by linbit to decrease split brain and expand to more than
two nodes.

http://www.drbd.org/users-guide-9.0/s-automatic-promotion.html

But I don't know why it shouldn't work, maybe not with the node image
but you can make a node of a normal rhel/centos/fedora install.

One problem I always have with drbd and RHEL/Centos is that when you
don't pay for the Linbit support, you don't get access to the repo and
drbd is an additional option on RHEL. On Centos and Fedora the version
is always lagging behind, so I have to compile the kernel module
everytime for a new version or kernel update.