[Users] Import VMware

Maurice James midnightsteel at msn.com
Thu Feb 6 02:15:34 UTC 2014

Ok. Thanks. Sounds do-able

From: Ted Miller [mailto:tmiller at hcjb.org]
Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 3:44 PM
To: Maurice James; users at ovirt.org
Subject: RE: [Users] Import VMware

From: Maurice James <midnightsteel at msn.com <mailto:midnightsteel at msn.com> >

Do you know of the best way to get a vmware guest into ovirt without
virt-v2v by chance?

From: users-bounces at ovirt.org <mailto:users-bounces at ovirt.org>
[mailto:users-bounces at ovirt.org] On Behalf Of Ted Miller

>> On 2/4/2014 10:49 AM, Maurice James wrote:

>>> Is it possible to import vmware images into ovirt 3.3, Or is a running
Esx instance still required?

>> This bug https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2013-1749.html officially
withdrew support for importing image files directly, because it didn't
always work.

  _____

> From: Maurice James <midnightsteel at msn.com <mailto:midnightsteel at msn.com>
>

> Do you know of the best way to get a vmware guest into ovirt without
virt-v2v by chance?

  _____

No.  I had a gluster + sanlock problem take out my ovirt cluster (2 hosts),
and I only have it partially back up.  My dozen VMs are currently available
only when my (dual boot) hardware isn't running oVirt.  Or, to put it the
other way, I can only run oVirt when I can take down the VMWare group,
because I don't have spare hardware.  Working on rebuilding one VM in KVM
today (VMWare copy had a problem).

The only way I have heard succeed is to use ESX/ESXi or the "hollow pig"
method.  Create a VM in ovirt, including the hard drive.  Replace hard drive
file with file from VMWare (or otherwise get data into file).  Fiddle with
VM hardware & settings until it runs.

Ted Miller
Elkhart, IN