[Users] A/B network setup

Assaf Muller amuller at redhat.com
Thu Feb 6 08:50:27 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

Yep! You can create two VLAN networks from the GUI (Named A, B for example)
and VLAN tag them with 100 and 200. Then, go to each of your hosts, click
on setup networks and drag those two new networks on the second NIC of the host.
This will configure two VLAN devices on top of the second NIC of the host.
Essentially the NIC will be a trunk port and will allow VLANs 100 and 200.
If the 2nd NIC is called eth1, then after the configuration is done you
will see eth1.100, and eth1.200.

Each network will also have a bridge created for it. So you'll have a Linux
bridge connected to eth1.100, and another one connected to eth1.200. Any
VMs that you connect to the first or second network will have tap devices
connected to the first or second bridge.

> This would allow me to have multiple subnets on
> a host that the switch also can see as multiple vlans. Right? I would still
> have to configure the switch to allow that port access to both vlans.

Yeah, you have to make sure that the port connected from the switch to the host
is in trunk mode, and allows VLANs 100 and 200.