[Users] SPICE behind NAT

Alan Murrell alan at murrell.ca
Wed Feb 12 02:07:41 UTC 2014

Looks like I am talking to myself now, but I will post my latest
findings, as I have had some time today to poke at this a bit.

It seems that the issues I last posted about may be specific to whn
using the Windows Remote-Viewer client, as that is what I was testing
with yesterday (and when I was logged in remotely).  I can connect
from the local network when using the Remote Viewer on my Linux
laptop.  I will try from remote when I get home, but I still cannot
connect from a local Windiws machine.

Also, I wanted to confirm what the value for "SpideDefaultProxy"
should be, when behine NAT.  Should it be:

   * the value of the external IP/hostname, or
   * the value of the internal IP/hostname of the server where the
proxy is installed (in my case, on the All-In-One setup)

The reason I ask is for a couple of reasons:

   * If I used the value of the external hostname, I was unable to
connect from my Linux laptop on the local network (same symptoms as
when trying to connect from the Windows PC, as detailed in my previous
post).  However, if I edited my local "hosts" file to resolve hostname
we use externally to the IP of the SPiceProxy server, I was then able
to connect to the SPICE session.  I believe this is because our
firewall does not allow "hairpinning", so it wa denying the "return"
connection
   * If the correct value is indeed the external IP/hostname, then if
the firewall denies "hairpinning" connections, will the conenction
from outside be blocked due to that as well?

I hope the above makes sense.  Let me know if you need clarification
on the above.  In any event, I will update on my test from outside.

-Alan