[Users] hosted-engine deployment doesn't accept legal email address (ovirt-3.4.0-prerelease)

Giorgio Bersano giorgio.bersano at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 10:28:33 UTC 2014

Hi,
I am happily testing the hosted engine feature, sorry I was late on
the test day but I dare to provide some feedback.
To be more clear I prefer to report one item per email.

This is related to a really minor issue I think it doesn't deserve a
Bugzilla but I'm ready to do it if requested.

So, during
  #  hosted-engine --deploy
in the step named "--== HOSTED ENGINE CONFIGURATION ==--" we are asked
to provide a couple of email addresses but addresses with an hypen
before the @ sign (ex. my-name at mydomain.com ) aren't allowed and
throwns the following:
  [ ERROR ] Invalid input, please try again

As a workaround I used another address but, looking at
/usr/share/ovirt-hosted-engine-setup/plugins/ovirt-hosted-engine-setup/ha/ha_notifications.py
(ovirt-hosted-engine-setup-1.1.0-0.5.beta2.el6.noarch)
I've found that _RE_EMAIL_ADDRESS is using a simplified pattern (hope
that gmail doesn't mangles text too much):

    [a-zA-Z0-9_.+]+
    @
    [a-z0-9.-]+

even avoiding the intricacy of the whole possibilities (see "Local
part" in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_address ) I think the
following (not tested) could be  more appropriate:

    [a-zA-Z0-9]
    [a-zA-Z0-9_.+-]+
    [a-zA-Z0-9]
    @
    [a-z0-9.-]+

don't know if it really works as I've never programmed in python but I
hope you get the idea.

Best regards,
Giorgio.