[Users] [rhevm-api] Assign IP address to VM using Java SDK

Sven Kieske S.Kieske at mittwald.de
Thu Feb 13 13:58:00 UTC 2014

Hi,

what cloud-init version and which OS do you run inside the vm?

background:
the ovirt-payload function generates an iso file from your cloud-init
data and attaches this to the vm. this feature is just working if you
got cloud-init >= 0.7.2 inside the vm, which is not available e.g. in
centos < 6.5 and ubuntu 12.04.

I don't know which data format the java sdk uses as default, so make
sure you are passing XML, not JSON.

HTH

Am 13.02.2014 14:39, schrieb Tejesh M:
> Hi All,
>
> Thanks alot.
>
> I have created one VM with minimal installation & installed cloud-init
> package. And, converted that VM into Template. Then executed the code given
> in http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/users/2014-February/021302.html , but
> no luck, the code is not setting root password.
>
> Also, there is no option to set *Hostname *for the VM.
>

> *Code:*
>
>         /*********************Begin Customize VM*********************/
>         // Generate the random password, using whatever mechanism you
>           // prefer:
>           String password = "cJql3P9XLQG4drCYVG/6Q/";
>
>           // You need to know the name of the template, the cluster and
>           // the VM you are going to create:
>           String templateName = "rhel2_temp";
>           String clusterName = "testCluster";
>           String vmName = "myvm";
>
>           // Prepare the data to create the VM from the template:
>           org.ovirt.engine.sdk.entities.Template templateData = new
> Template();
>           templateData.setName(templateName);
>           org.ovirt.engine.sdk.entities.Cluster clusterData = new Cluster();
>           clusterData.setName(clusterName);
>           org.ovirt.engine.sdk.entities.VM vmDataForCreate = new VM();
>           vmDataForCreate.setName(vmName);
>           vmDataForCreate.setCluster(clusterData);
>           vmDataForCreate.setTemplate(templateData);
>
>           // Send the request to create the VM to the server:
>           api.getVMs().add(vmDataForCreate);
>           String state;
>           // White till the VM is down (it will be locked for a while):
>           for (;;) {
>              state = api.getVMs().get(vmName).getStatus().getState();
>             if ("down".equals(state)) {
>               break;
>             }
>             Thread.sleep(1000);
>           }
>           System.out.println("System Status:"+state);
>           // Populate parameters for the action to start the VM with
> cloud-init:
>           org.ovirt.engine.sdk.entities.User userData = new User();
>           userData.setUserName("root");
>           userData.setPassword(password);
>           Users usersData = new Users();
>           usersData.getUsers().add(userData);
>           CloudInit cloudData = new CloudInit();
>           cloudData.setUsers(usersData);
>
>           Initialization initData = new Initialization();
>           initData.setCloudInit(cloudData);
>           VM vmDataForStart = new VM();
>           vmDataForStart.setInitialization(initData);
>           Action actionData = new Action();
>           actionData.setVm(vmDataForStart);
>
>           // Send the request to start the VM to the server:
>           api.getVMs().get(vmName).start(actionData);
>           System.out.println("After :
> "+api.getVMs().get(vmName).getStatus());
>           /*********************End Customize VM*********************/
>

> Thanks & Regards,
> Tejesh
>

> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 2:26 PM, Juan Hernandez <jhernand at redhat.com> wrote:

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Regards

Sven Kieske

Systemadministrator
Mittwald CM Service GmbH & Co. KG
Königsberger Straße 6
32339 Espelkamp
T: +49-5772-293-100
F: +49-5772-293-333
https://www.mittwald.de
Geschäftsführer: Robert Meyer
St.Nr.: 331/5721/1033, USt-IdNr.: DE814773217, HRA 6640, AG Bad Oeynhausen
Komplementärin: Robert Meyer Verwaltungs GmbH, HRB 13260, AG Bad Oeynhausen