[Users] Storage Performance Issue !

Sander Grendelman sander at grendelman.com
Wed Feb 19 07:48:53 UTC 2014

You give very little information about your setup and the problem.

- What kind of storage do you use? ( software or hardware raid? how
many spindles? what kind of disks?)
- Does it have battery backed cache? Is the battery on this cache OK?
- How much IO, with how much latency, is generated on the hosts? ( run
some diagnostics e.g. "iostat -mx 10" for a couple of minutes on a
host )
- How much IO, with how much latency, is generated on the VMs?
- Is IO on the host better than on the guest? How much? (test!)
- What is the storage type of the storage domain? ( local FS? iSCSI?
Fibre Channel? GlusterFS? )
- What type of IO controller do you use in the guest? ( IDE? virtio?
virtio-scsi? )
- Do you use thin- or thick provisioned disks?
- Do you use snapshots?