[Users] new oVirt look-and-feel -- feature page

Karli Sjöberg Karli.Sjoberg at slu.se
Wed Feb 19 13:17:07 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-02-19 at 07:22 -0500, Greg Sheremeta wrote:

> [...]

Yupp, just checking, since it´s not made to tile like a parallax, I was
just curious if you had some special trick up your sleave.

And maybe I´m just nit-picking here, but I made a quick test, just to
demonstrate what I would percieve as a problem of having one big picture
as background.

obrand.html:
  <head>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="obrand.css" />
  </head>

obrand.css:
.obrand_loginPageBackground {
    background-image: url(ovirt_bg.png);
    background-size: 100% auto;
    background-repeat: repeat-x;
    background-color: #1d2226;
    position: absolute;
    bottom: 0;
    left: 0;
    right: 0;
    top: 0;
}

I attached a snapshot of how scaling your browser window in the "wrong"
way breaks it´s aspect ratio and how that´s just handled by
"background-color" in a rather...boring way. Of course scaling the
window _that_ small is ridiculous, it´s just to demonstrate the aspect
issue that would be for smartphones e.g, on this welcome screen.

So my concern here is most of all about the aspect ratio issues involved
with having just one big picture as a background. Most sites I´ve seen
have either just code, a lot of small pics, parallaxing ones, or one
insanely big picture, talking Ultra-HD 4k big, just to be absolutely
sure it´s not going to scale in this unwanted way.

Am I wrong?

karli.sjoberg at slu.se