[Users] SD Disk's Logical Volume not visible/activated on some nodes

Nir Soffer nsoffer at redhat.com
Wed Feb 19 15:09:21 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

Which version of ovirt 3.3 is this? (3.3.2? 3.3.3?)

> One of the hosts (host1) is engine + node + SPM and the other host2 is
> just a node. I have an iSCSI storage domain configured and accessible
> from both nodes.
>
> When creating a new disk in the SD, the underlying logical volume gets
> properly created (seen in vgdisplay output on host1), but doesn't seem
> to be automatically picked by host2.

How do you know it is not seen on host2?

> Consequently, when creating/booting
> a VM with the said disk attached, the VM fails to start on host2,
> because host2 can't see the LV. Similarly, if the VM is started on
> host1, it fails to migrate to host2. Extract from host2 log is in the
> end. The LV in question is 6b35673e-7062-4716-a6c8-d5bf72fe3280.
>
> As far as I could track quickly the vdsm code, there is only call to lvs
> and not to lvscan or lvchange so the host2 LVM doesn't fully refresh.
> The only workaround so far has been to restart VDSM on host2, which
> makes it refresh all LVM data properly.
>
> When is host2 supposed to pick up any newly created LVs in the SD VG?
> Any suggestions where the problem might be?

When you create a new lv on the shared storage, the new lv should be
visible on the other host. Lets start by verifying that you do see
the new lv after a disk was created.

Try this:

1. Create a new disk, and check the disk uuid in the engine ui
2. On another machine, run this command:

lvs -o vg_name,lv_name,tags

You can identify the new lv using tags, which should contain the new disk uuid.

If you don't see the new lv from the other host, please provide /var/log/messages
and /var/log/sanlock.log.

Thanks,
Nir