[Users] After upgrade of ovirt > 3.3 all Windows vms lost their activation against Microsoft

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Mon Feb 24 16:42:54 UTC 2014

On Mon, 24 Feb 2014, Ricky Schneberger wrote:

> > Why is the Windows VMs always lost their activation against Microsoft
> > after that I have upgrade ovirt?
> Yes I am sure its related to the upgrade.
>
> In the application log of the VM we can see  "hardware has changed from
> previous boot" and also we have a licensing system on another host that
> got in a stucked state because of the same reason - "hardware has
> changed from previous boot".

I see the following discussions ... changes in bios, or
hardware device numbers, seem to trigger this

(Citrix instances)
http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX135542

http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX132220/

http://discussions.citrix.com/topic/313096-windows-activation-license-mak-used/#entry1674492

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/windows-7-activation-always-come-back-after/b26f8338-ae51-44d1-a0d9-b3a71643548a

So the issue may in some cases be avoided, but in others, will
need oVirt attention to not changing values refered to by the
licensing validation code.  Identifying all those test point
valuess so they may be preserved, looks like something the
upstream (commercial) vendor would not be very interesting in
revealing as it would impact their revenue model, so it
probably needs a set of 'reproducers' identified, and test
cases written ...

-- Russ herrold