[Users] After upgrade of ovirt > 3.3 all Windows vms lost their activation against Microsoft

Ricky Schneberger ricky at schneberger.se
Tue Feb 25 08:39:05 UTC 2014

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/windows-7-activation-always-come-back-after/b26f8338-ae51-44d1-a0d9-b3a71643548a

>>> I think the best solution would be if Microsoft would send some
>>> patches :-)
>>>
>>> Ricky, would you open a bug so we can track this issue?
>>
>> oVirt tries to keep stable device addresses (e.g. pci slot)
>> specifically to prevent this issue. The way it is done is that
>> after running the VM we query libvirt for all the device
>> addresses and on next run we provide libvirt with the same
>> addresses to keep the devices from changing. This feature was not
>> available in 3.0 so I see 2 options here: 1. this VM was not
>> started (or was running) since 3.0

It was running just until the upgrade to ovirt 3.2 and then the VM was
test started before the upgrade to ovirt 3.3. If the license issue
came between 3.1>3.2 or between 3.2>3.3 I right dont know.

>> 2. introduction of new virtual hardware caused a change in the
>> device addresses for some reason (bug).
>
> in addition to stable PCI addresses, new QEMU/KVM release sometimes
> change the system hardware - emulated machine mode. or if it is
> really subtle, it can also be triggered by new devices (e.g.
> balloon, virtio-console (used to be in 3.0, removed in 3.1,
> optional in 3.3)) or simple upgrade of virtio drivers
>
> anyway, so what changes in devices you can see after upgrade?

It seems that a changes in the display system triggered the Software
Protection service.
When I check the logs I can see there was and upgrade/change/new
install of drivers to the display adapter. I dont know if I got a new
PCI address, but when I checked a VM that does not triggered the
Software Protection service I cannot find such things in the loggfiles.

So in one way or another the VM think there was changes big enough to
hit the Software Protection service.