[Users] oVirt 3.5 planning

Sven Kieske S.Kieske at mittwald.de
Tue Feb 25 13:30:08 UTC 2014

Well, afaik the current workflow is like this:

I have iso domain (hosted on NFS server) a, attached to host b.

On host b I got vms c,d and e.

When I attach an ISO from a to c, the iso gets
copied from the NFS server to /var/run/vdsm/payload/{UUID}/..

When I attach the same ISO file from a to d the very same iso
file gets copied again to /var/run/vdsm/payload/{UUID_2}/ from
the NFS server.

This is unnecessary because there is already a copy of the iso in
the locale filesystem, so it would be cool if this is stored in a
way that multiple vms on the same host can utilize the same iso file
without downloading it multiple times.

I hope I described the workflow in a correct way.
If this is done already I am not aware of it, so please correct
me if I'm wrong.

An additional side effect would be that you can utilize this locally
stored iso files while the NFS server or the ISO Domain is in
maintenance mode for some reason. Or if you have a network maintenance
for the network path which leads to the ISO Domain.

Of course this just works if the host has enough ram or dedicated local
storage to store these copies.

I know that you can circumvent this, by using a locally created ISO
Domain on the host itself. But then you lose the ability of sharing
this ISO domain with different DCs, don't you?

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Regards

Sven Kieske

Systemadministrator
Mittwald CM Service GmbH & Co. KG
Königsberger Straße 6
32339 Espelkamp
T: +49-5772-293-100
F: +49-5772-293-333
https://www.mittwald.de
Geschäftsführer: Robert Meyer
St.Nr.: 331/5721/1033, USt-IdNr.: DE814773217, HRA 6640, AG Bad Oeynhausen
Komplementärin: Robert Meyer Verwaltungs GmbH, HRB 13260, AG Bad Oeynhausen