[Users] oVirt 3.5 planning

Latchezar Filtchev Latcho at aubg.bg
Wed Feb 26 12:04:41 UTC 2014

Dear All,

With your permission I will elaborate more on OpenvSwitch integration. I will try briefly  to share with you my experience.
My university uses MS Windows Active directory 2008R2 with several domains dedicated to connect staff computers, computer labs, users private devices, different types of users  etc.

I have test environment (CentOS 6 based) for my colleagues in the office. It was built by 6 machines:

1. engine, recently upgraded to ver. 3.3.3, connected to Active Directory, serves also ISO NFS domain;
2. Data center 1 - with two nodes  - one of nodes serves also iSCSI storage domain;
3. Data center 2 - with two  nodes;
4. Regular PC - serves as iSCSI storage domain for Data center 2

Since Ovirt ver. 3.1 no longer I have physical machine installed with Windows. For my daily Windows related routine tasks I am using virtual MS Windows  7 Enterprise machine joined to university Active Directory.

In order to make my colleagues life easy I have created several templates with different distributions. What was reaction of my colleagues when I encouraged them to experiment with the new environment? My colleagues told me - everything is fine for experimenting but we need NAT network in order to make test setups of experimental MS Windows domain, Active Directory, Exchange servers etc. We do not want to mess with current production environment. This is going to be a problem if we decide to offer to students such experimental environment in educational process - classes for system unix/linux/windows administration, examples for cloud computing etc.

I am still testing with OpenvSwitch integration in order to find solution for such case. To be honest with you  - no luck yet. If the integration with OpenStack is better supported - I think it will be much easier to create safe environments for testing and experimenting.

Please excuse me for this long e-mail.

Thank you!
Best,
Latcho
--
Latchezar Filtchev                                        American University in Bulgaria
Director Office of Communications       1 G.Izmirliev - Makednocheto sq.