[Users] The purpose of "Wipe on delete" ?

Dafna Ron dron at redhat.com
Thu Feb 27 21:16:10 UTC 2014

wipe = writing zero's on the space allocated to that disk to make sure
any data once written will be deleted permanently.

so it's  a security vs speed decision on using this option - since we
zeroing the disk to make sure any information once written will be
overwritten, a delete of a large disk can take a while.

Dafna

On 02/27/2014 04:14 PM, Richard Davis wrote:
> Hi
>
> What is the purpose of the "Wipe on delete" option for a VM disk ?
> Why would you not want data wiped on delete if the alternative is to
> leave LV metadata and other data languishing on the SD ?
>

> Thanks
>
> Rich

Dafna Ron