[Users] Snapshot merging and the effect on underlying LV metadata

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Fri Feb 28 19:45:28 UTC 2014

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:

> In lvm2 version 2.02.105 lvconvert gained a --splitsnapshot option to
> allow people to wipe snapshot content before releasing the extents
> for reallocation.
>
>        --splitsnapshot
>               Separates SnapshotLogicalVolume from  its  origin.   The  volume
>               that  is split off contains the chunks that differ from the ori-
>               gin along with the metadata describing them.  This volume can be
>               wiped  and then destroyed with lvremove.  The inverse of --snap-
>               shot.

Nice to know ... we use the snapshot feature heavilyin our
virtualization, but as:
	CentOS 6 is at lvm2-2.02.100-8.el6.x86_64, and
	C 5 at lvm2-2.02.88-12.el5,

we will need to wait a bit before relying on its presence.
Any chance of a re-basing / refresh / backport at least into
RHEL 6 (we have only one Xen oriented dom0 at this point on
C5)?

Thanks

--Russ herrold