[Users] Help - Cannot run VM. Invalid time zone for given OS type.

Patrick Hurrelmann patrick.hurrelmann at lobster.de
Fri Jan 3 09:54:18 UTC 2014

On 02.01.2014 20:12, Dan Ferris wrote:> Hi,

> Has anyone run across this error:
>
> Cannot run VM. Invalid time zone for given OS type.
>
> The OS type for these VMs is set to Linux Other.  They were all exported
> from an Ovirt 3.2 cluster and are being reimported into an Ovirt 3.3
> cluster.  None of these VMs will boot.  We also can't delete them
> because delete protection is enabled and we can't edit the VM to turn
> off delete protection.
>
> Does anyone know what this error means exactly and how to fix it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dan

Hi Dan,

I had the very problem myself. The fix for it is quite easy, but
requires manual editing of one database table.

In table "vm_static" find your non-starting vms (they propably all have
an empty string set as timezone in column "time_zone") and update that
column to null. There was a recent change in the timezone code and it
now fails when the timezone is an empty string, but works fine if it null.

Regards
Patrick

--
Lobster LOGsuite GmbH, Münchner Straße 15a, D-82319 Starnberg

HRB 178831, Amtsgericht München
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Martin Fischer, Rolf Henrich