[Users] virtualized engine / port to self-hosted engine

Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com
Mon Jan 6 15:43:40 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

I didn't try that. In principle it can. Note that it will only backup/restore
the engine - not local storage domains (ISO or data), VM images, etc.

If you try that, please report back. Thanks!

> I currently need to move an AIO configuration from AMD hardware to Intel
> I7 hardware.  The engine-backup WIKI discusses backups, but not
> restores.  I am a bit concerned about using engine-backup to restore an
> AIO configuration to a different system as another WIKI page with
> step-by-step instructions to do what engine-backup does for you,
> mentions you have to do some extra steps if you are changing hostnames
> as the hostname of the ovirt-engine is embedded in the database.

Changing the hostname is specifically not in the scope of engine-backup.

Note that you do not need to have the hostname equal to the "fqdn" input
during engine-setup - this last one just needs to be dns-resolvable and
point to the machine intended.

Also, there is another utility to do that, called ovirt-engine-rename -
see this for details and implications:

http://www.ovirt.org/Changing_Engine_Hostname

> There really needs to be some work done in Ovirt on making it easier to
> import existing disk images and just generally moving things around
> without having to bounce off an NFS server.
>
> Should I do a BZ on that?

Not sure what you mean exactly, but you are always welcome to open BZs on
bugs/RFEs...

Best regards,
--
Didi