[Users] Experience with low cost NFS-Storage as VM-Storage?

Karli Sjöberg Karli.Sjoberg at slu.se
Thu Jan 9 07:30:56 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-01-09 at 07:10 +0000, Markus Stockhausen wrote:
> [...]

Only technical difference I can think of is the iSCSI-level
load-balancing. With NFS you set up the network with LACP and let that
load-balance for you (and you should probably do that with iSCSI as well
but you don´t strictly have to). I think it has to do with a chance of
trying to go beyond the capacity of 1 network interface at the same
time, from one Host (higher bandwidth) that makes people try iSCSI
instead of plain NFS. I have tried that but was never able to achieve
that effect, so in our situation, there´s no difference. In comparing
them both in benchmarks, there was no performance difference at all, at
least for our storage systems that are based on FreeBSD.

/K