[Users] sanlock leases on VM disks

José Luis Sanz Boixader jlsanz at albasoft.com
Fri Jan 10 18:44:14 UTC 2014

I have an oVirt testing setup with 3 hosts running for a few weeks:
CentOS 6.4, oVirt 3.3.1, VDSM 4.13.0, iSCSI based storage domain.

I have just realized that sanlock has no leases on VM disks, so nothing
prevents vdsm/libvirt from starting a VM on two different hosts,
corrupting disk data. I know that something has to go wrong on oVirt
engine to do it, but I've manually forced some errors ("Setting Host
state to Non-Operational", "VM xxxx is not responding") for a "Highly
available" VM and oVirt engine started that VM on another host. oVirt
engine was not aware, but the VM was running on two hosts.

I think this is a job for libvirt/sanlock/wdmd, but libvirt is not
receiving "lease" tags for disks when creating domains. I think it should.
What's left in my config? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks