[Users] Networking. Hosted Setup. All in One Host. Hetzner

Peter Styk polfilm at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 23:51:25 UTC 2014

Greetings,

I'm writing here as to share some of my findings about hosting with
Hetzner. All in one setups on single remote host can be tricky. Provider
mounted an extra /29 subnet to the main host but none is routed by default
and host has to become router itself. At the same time single mistake in
bridging configuration and lost access results in need for re-bootstrap.
It's still tempting to try and with many trials I eventually got to see
guests talking to the net.

Scenario 1: Working. Package bridge-utils, oVirt engine, setup bridge,
VDSM, add host to engine, add routing to host routing table. Networking by
trial and error. Still something is not right. Occasionally on ping out I'm
getting "Redirect Host (New nexthop" messages.
http://styk.tv/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/oVirtHosted1_almost_working.png

Scenario 2: Dreaming. Private network with private router/dhcp/nat. Private
10.0.0.0/24 network. No problems with routing as gateway 10.0.0.1 would be
on the same subnet. Thought of using pfSense but can't seem to bring up an
instance with two network cards on two different networks. I thought this
would be easy. Go to Networks, click create new network, type private, save
ok. then go to new instance. point at iso, attach two network cards. save
ok. Launch "Host did not satisfy internal filter Network" No idea what that
is. Maybe I don't understand how this works. I even tried removing
ovirtmgmt network and leaving private network by itself. Tried with all 3
network card types (rtl8139/e1000/VirtIO)
http://styk.tv/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/oVirtHosted2_preferred.png

Either way if you have a minute or two please take a look at both attached
diagrams. Deliberately making it difficult by forcing all elements on
single box in hosted environment.

Maybe there is a way to have this all installed with Neutron or vSwitch on
the same box or is that pushing it?

Regards,
Peter