[Users] New user to oVirt, and I haz a sad so far...

noc noc at nieuwland.nl
Fri Jan 17 08:35:26 UTC 2014

On 17-1-2014 8:53, Gabi C wrote:
> 've been there! :-D
>
> I mean exactly same issuse you had on Centos, I had on Fedora 19.
> Did you disable selinux on nodes? 'cause that's what is causing SSh
> connection closing
>
> My setup:
>
> 1 engine on vmware  - fedora 19, up-to-date
>

> 2 nodes on IBM x series 3650  - fedora 19 based -oVirt Node - 3.0.3 -
> 1.1.fc19 with nodes beig in glusterfs cluster also.....
>

> Right now, I'm banging my head against "Operation Add-Disk failed to
> complete." , message I have got after adding a new virtual machine and
> try to addd its disk
>

> On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 6:08 AM, Will Dennis (Live.com)
> <willarddennis at live.com <mailto:willarddennis at live.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all, ready for a story? (well, more of a rant, but hopefully it
>     will be a
>     good UX tale, and may even be entertaining.)
>
>     Had one of the groups come to me at work this week and request a
>     OpenStack
>     setup. When I sat down and discussed their needs, it turns out
>     that they
>     really only need a multi-hypervisor setup where they can spin up
>     VMs for
>     their research projects. The VMs should be fairly long-lived, and
>     will have
>     persistent storage. Their other request is that the storage should
>     be local
>     on the hypervisor nodes (they plan to use Intel servers with 8-10
>     2TB drives
>     for VM storage on each node.) They desire this in order to keep
>     the VM I/O
>     local - they do not have a SAN of any sort anyhow, and they do not
>     care
>     about live migration, etc

@Will
If the installation ends, either with or without error, it will give you
a log location. Upload the log to a paste.bin and mail the link.

@Gabi,
There should be more info in either the vdsm.log on the SPM server or in
the engine.log on the engine server, see above for lettings us know what
the error is.

Having installed oVirt, probably dozens of times, I have some guidelines:
- temporarily disable firewalld/iptables (if all works, enable should
still work, scripts with rules are generated and location is given)
- make selinux permissive either via setenforce 0 (until next boot) or
via /etc/selinux/config ( survives reboots), dont disable it!
- make sure fqdn work in both directions between engine and host(s)
(either using /etc/hosts or DNS)
- make sure NetworkManager is disabled and network enabled

Joop