[Users] Making v2v easier?

Markus Stockhausen stockhausen at collogia.de
Sun Jan 19 09:43:32 UTC 2014

Hello,

for me virt-v2v will be a one-timer until everything is migrated
into OVirt. If you had hard times to arrange everything and know
how to deal with it, the tool works quite well. Nevertheless for
for new users this can be very frustrating.

The two most annoying things are for me:

- Migration is sequential and slow. We have a lot of big SAP systems
with 250GB++. The infrastructure is backed by a 10G IPoIB network
that can easily copy files between NFS server at sustained speed of
500MB/s. virt-v2v cannot go beyond 40MB/s and thus about 2 hours
to migrate a machine. I understand that the process involves a "long"
chain ESXNFS->ESX->virt-v2v->OVirtNFS. Maybe one should think
of providing a parametrization to copy multiple disk images at the
same time.

- Even worse is to wait 2 hours for the migration to finish and getting
afterwards errors about missing entries in virt-v2v.db or problems
during mount of the VM filesystems. Maybe the step or at least a check
could be issued after the migration of the (small) OS/boot disk.

Markus